Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sumida River Fireworks 2010

Summer in Japan is all about the fireworks displays and festivals. The biggest and most popular is the Sumida River Fireworks in Asakusa, Tokyo. This year was the second time I have been to the festival and since I remembered the crowds at the actual location this year I looked into going someplace else to watch them.

Shiori park in Minami-senju was recommended to me by my land lord, and since it was still close but not too close I thought it would be best. Myself and my friend Caitlin made our way to the park mainly by following the people in yukata since they were going to the same place as us most likely. We followed the horde until we finally got to the park which wasn't as crowded as I had thought it would be. Our first spot turned out not to be a good one since we just had a view of the very few trees in the park. But then I made a bad decision of picking the far side of the walkway so every so often a person would walk into my shot.


But the fireworks were nice from where we were cause we could see the river and the bridge. I managed to get a lot of photos but what was funny was this little boy whose family was behind us kept coming up near me. The fireworks go off in two locations but I was taking pictures of those that went off over the river, so when the others would be going off but I wouldn't be taking pictures he would point at them. As if telling they're over there take your pictures.

I think I managed to get a few good ones but not as good as the shots I got when I went to Nagoya Port Fireworks a few years ago but here are some samples.






1 comment:

  1. Nice Steph. Very interesting about Japan. Cool fireworks! Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete